IT IS POSSIBLE TO READ WITHOUT GLASSES
The eye has a mechanism of “autofocus”, such as cameras, which allows to see distant objects and quickly focus on an object at 30 centimeters and read a newspaper, for example. This can be done because inside our eyes is the lens, that has the ability to move and change the focus when our brain wants. (This is called accommodation).
But from 40-45 years of age, the lens loses its elasticity and can not automatically focus on nearby objects. People who have never used glasses begin to need glasses to read, and those who already had glasses or contact lenses, need a graduation for distancia and another for close-up vision. This is the process called presbyopia, which is popularly known as eye strain.
The solution to this problem until now has been the use of reading glasses or glasses with graduation for distancia and close-up (bifocal or progressive), but for years a definitive surgical solution that makes it unnecessary to use glasses has been sought.
The technique that today is allowing many patients to dispense with glasses, both from distance, and up close is the implant of a TRIFOCAL INTRAOCULAR LENS.
WHAT IS THE INTERVENTION?
With topical anesthesia (only drops) the lens, which can no longer perform its function, is replaced by an artificial lens (intraocular lens). In recent years, models have been developed that provide a good quality of vision, from distance, close-up and intermediate distances.
The lens is aspirated, by phacoemulsification and a trifocal intraocular lens is implanted through an incision so small that it does not require suture.
Characteristics of the intervention:
- No hospital admission required
- Topical anesthesia, only with drops
- Duration of about 8 minutes
- It does not require injections
- It does not require suture
- Without covering the eye
- Immediate visual recovery
- It allows reincorporation to everyday life in 2 or 3 days
Indications of the intervention:
- Patients older than 50-55 years
- It can be done in patients who only use glasses close up and also in patients with myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism associated with eyestrain
- Patients who do not want or do not tolerate the use of glasses
- The dependence on glasses is eliminated, both distance (driving, watching TV), at intermediate distances (computer, desk, cooking) and up close (mobile phone, reading a book)
- Fast, painless intervention with very low risk index
- The results are stable for a lifetime, that is, you do not have to change glasses periodically as it happens in the natural evolution of presbyopia
- Cataracts will never develop, because the lens has been removed
These TRIFOCAL lenses provide a good quality of vision, with a high degree of satisfaction in most patients, although they are not indicated in all cases. At the preoperative visit, all the necessary tests will be performed and the patient will be explained which is the most appropriate surgical technique in his specific case.
DR. F. Antonio Arguedas / Ophthalmology Service