In the Ophthalmology Service of the Policlínica Comarcal del Vendrell, we perform a review to rule out the most frequent pathologies in people over 50 years of age:
- Refractive defects: myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, presbyopia (tired eyesight).
- Cataracts: loss of lens transparency.
- Glaucoma: increase in intraocular pressure that produces damage to the optic nerve.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD): alteration of the central area of the retina (macula), in people over 65 years. It is the most important cause of blindness in developed countries.
To rule out these pathologies we will do the following diagnostic tests:
- Detailed refraction, to see if you need a review, or if the graduation of your glasses is correct.
- Examination of ocular motility and Cover Test, to rule out strabismus or dysfunction of the eye muscles.
- Measurement of Intraocular Pressure, to rule out glaucoma.
- Biomicroscopy and High Definition photography of the Anterior Pole of the Eye. The conjunctiva, cornea, iris, pupil and lens are visualized. We can see and teach the patient pathologies such as cataracts, where the loss of transparency of the lens is observed.
- Retinography: High Definition digital photography of the retina and optic nerve.
- OCT, Optical Coherence Tomography: a meticulous analysis of the layers of the retina, optic nerve, cornea and anterior chamber is performed with digital images in High Definition. We can detect pathologies of the retina, such as Age-Associated Macular Degeneration (AMD) or in the optic nerve, such as glaucoma, before any symptoms manifest and thus be able to put on a treatment that prevents vision loss.
We also have the following diagnostic tests:
- Biometer-Surveyor: makes a map of the cornea and analysis of its characteristics. Detects curvature defects. It takes measurements of the structures and the axial length of the eyeball and calculates the dioptric power of intraocular lenses.
- Specular Microscope: analyzes the cells of the corneal endothelium, which keep the cornea transparent.
- Computerized Campimeter: performs an analysis of the Visual Field, for the study of Glaucoma and pathologies of the Optic Nerve.
DR. F. Antonio Arguedas